Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

James and Martha A. Night / Knight

Posted by charlesmefferd 
James and Martha A. Night / Knight
July 26, 2010 03:09PM
In the 1850 Linden, Perry County, TN Census my Great Great Grandparents James Night Born 1828 TN & Martha Night 1829 TN, were farming with their two children
Caladonia J Night 1847 TN
Masenus Franklin Night 1848 TN.

Residing on the next farm was Jordan Night 1829 TN & Sara A. Anderson Night 1830 TN.
Son James I (J) Night 1848 TN. I am assuming James and Jordan were brothers.

In the 1860 Linden, Perry County, TN census. Jordan Night and family were farming in Marion, Lawrence County, AR.

My Great Great Grandparents were still farming in the Linden area. Now joined with more children including my Great Grandfather
William James Night 1853 Perry County, TN.
Sarah Jane Night 1855 Perry County, TN.
Thomas Wesley Night 1859 Perry County, TN.
Martha Elizabeth Night Mar 1862 Perry County, TN.
Living with them as a farm hand was Thomas Middleton 1838 Perry County, TN.

I am thinking, but not certain that this Thomas Middleton might have been Martha Night's younger brother. Her maiden name may have been Middleton.

James and Martha's oldest son Masenus Franklin "Frank" Night appeared to be able bodied, but maybe Hearing and speach impared. After Martha died in 1900 he never went to school, never married and was passed around to various family members until he died in 1932. In the 1920 Perry County, TN census he worked for a Middleton Family in Perry county as a servant.

Frank Died in 1932 and is buried at Mt Auburn Cemetery in Perry county, near his youngest sister Martha Elizabeth "Betty" Knight Broadaway Treece.

All I have on Martha A Night is that her mother was born in Virginia. In 1850 residing in the same general area was a Jackson Middleton 1797 SC and wife Sarah 1803 VIRGINIA. They had several children, one being a 12 year old son Thomas Middleton. In the 1860 census Jackson and Sarah were not listed. It appears that they had died. Their children were all on their own. The youngers ones living with older siblings. Thomas with Martha Night?

In the 1870 Census a widowed Martha "KNIGHT" and several of her children were living in Decatur County, TN. Just across the Tennessee River from Perry County. Note the change of spelling of the last name. Caladonia J was married to James A Barnes, but living in the same area. The rest of the children were there, joined by younger brother
John B Knight Nov 1862 TN.

Apparently my Great Great Grandfather James Night had died between Early to Mid 1862 and 1870. At first I thought the Civil War!

But I discovered family lore that he was fording a river in TN in 1864/1865 and was knocked off his horse by a couple of "Carpetbaggers" and drown. Apparently they wanted his "plantation". Now I don't think that James Night had that kind of money and maybe they just wanted his little farm. This could have been in Perry County, WIlson County, TN or the Memphis area, depending upon who was telling the story.

I would appreciate any assistance I could get to put me onto the right track to connect with my Great Great Great Grandparents. Night or (Middleton?). DNA test has a close "Knight" match in Christian County, KY.

Thanks for any assistance.

Chuck Mefferd (a Knight Cousin)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 10:29AM by charlesmefferd.