Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Samuel Whetsel & Jennie McCarroll Whetsel

Posted by miamolly 
Samuel Whetsel & Jennie McCarroll Whetsel
October 02, 2010 03:14PM
Looking for any information. I know when they were married (1890) and when Samuel died. Jennie was his second wife. She had two children - Lena Pearl and Oscar. They show up on the 1900 census and she is a widow. I believe Jennie died soon after the 1900 census. Lena is my grandmother. She doesn't show up again until the 1920 Census when she is married to my grandfather (Clarence Harrison) and has 2 children. I would like any information for Lena and Oscar after Jennie died. I've heard Lena went to an orphanage. Oscar was just a few months old so he may have been adopted and his name changed.

Patty J.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 03:15PM by miamolly.
Re: Samuel Whetsel & Jennie McCarroll Whetsel
December 01, 2010 11:23AM
Found this for you,

Lena Pearl Whetzel m George Sherfey in 1920 washing ton co. Tn. George was the son of John D. and Cora Martin Sherfey. they are listed on the 1920 census for Washington co. Tn. its seems that George might have been a Widow and Lena his second wife. George died in 1948 in WAshington co. and Lena was still his wife at the time.

Could not find Oscar under the Whetzel name so that he might have been adopted could be possible or that he did not survive either but in 1910 Lena is a ward of a family named Bachanon in 1930 they are living in the same place. George had 3 children in 1920 when they got married and the same 3 are living with him and Lena in 1930 with no other kids listed at that time.

Hope this helps some
Sue
Re: Samuel Whetsel & Jennie McCarroll Whetsel
December 27, 2010 03:21PM
Don't think that is the right Whetsels. In 1920 Lena was already married to Clarence Oscar Harrison and had 2 children. After her mother died Lena might have worked for an Eldridge Bachman. I found Mr. Bachman on several census but it never listed Lena as a ward/servant. Can't find any proof though. Do you have any idea where I should check next. I live in Louisville so everything is over the internet. Thanks a lot.

Patty