Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LOOKUP Help please? Welchance/Knick

Posted by cullinan172 
LOOKUP Help please? Welchance/Knick
April 17, 2011 12:21PM
I am looking for someone who would be willing to search for any court or criminal filing information from around 1840 - 1850 relating to a charge that may have been filed against William Knick (also seen the Nix spelling used) in Washington County, TN.

He was married at one time to Malinda Welchance. The story is that he was asked to leave Washington County because he was involved with both Malinda and her younger sister. The story goes on that he ran off with Mary Welchance (believed to be a sister to Malinda). I know that he came to Georgia and was married to Mary about 1863. I also know that he was jailed in Murray County, GA related to the above named offense.

Mary and Malinda are said to be part of the William and Charlotte (Hostetter) Welchance family from the Washington County area.

Maybe not a shining part of family history eye popping smiley - but history none the less. I know most of the story is true from records I have obtained in Georgia. I would just like to know or confirm if the criminal charges were filed in TN prior to his arrest in GA & a transcription of the record would be wonderful if anyone has the time.

Mary & William were my 4th great grandparents & had at least one son in Georgia named Dawson Walker Knick b.abt 1864 and at least one daughter named Alice b. abt 1865 in GA. There are more children but I am unsure at this point which is the mother so any additional information would be helpful in determining the remaining facts.

Thank you so much for any assistance!!
Janet Cullinan