Saint Luke Post Office
March 16, 2013 09:49PM
I am seeking the location of the St Luke Post Office in Jackson County. It was active 23 Jun 1892 - 26 Dec 1899. Civil War pension records for my GG grandfather, James H Hamilton, indicate he died and was buried at the W.M. Neill place, in the vicinity of this PO in 1896.

James L Hamilton
Re: Saint Luke Post Office
June 30, 2013 10:40PM
Your query caught my attention for 2 reasons- Civil War and Jackson Co. I am collecting info on TN Confederate soldiers and I had ancestors in Jackson Co. mid 1800's. Apparently, the St Luke post office opened 1898 and closed 1909 in Putnam Co. The Jackson and Putnam county lines must have changed sometime in mid 1890's?
July 01, 2013 04:56PM
My ancestor was from East Tennessee and was in a Union TN regiment. After a bit of searching it appears to me that Jackson and Putnam Counties both had St. Luke Post Offices. The dates for each overlap by about a year. I could find no evidence that the county boundaries changed in this time period.

James
September 12, 2013 10:08AM
The Saint Luke Post Office was located in a store building; the last owner was Lum Goolsby, who was also the last post master. The post office closed in 1909. Signs designating the location of the Saint Luke community/ post office and the Free Union School (located at Saint Luke) will be put up at those locations in approximately two weeks.

Mr. Hamilton,
I have not been able to locate a Wm. Neill who lived in the St. Luke area.

Carol Bradford
Assistant Putnam Co. Archivist
September 20, 2013 10:01AM
The Saint Luke unincorporated community signs are now in place, approximately one fourth mile from the location of the post office in both direstions. The Free Union School sign will be put up next week, as well as pictures will be taken by the local newspaper.

Carol Bradford
Putnam County Assistant Archivist
October 11, 2013 06:38PM
James,
(W)illiam (M)ackland Neill b16 Feb 1840- d 27 Nov 1910, wife, Elizabeth F(rances) 11 April 1846 - 10 March 1910 have anything to do with what your looking for?
W.M. & E.F. are buried at Curry's Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery.
There no Hamilton's listed as being in the Curry's Chapel cemetery
please reply to bstark9192@frontiernet.net
Betty
November 05, 2013 05:07AM
Hi--I have been trying to run down info on my Goolsby ancestors. My Grandpa was John Logan Goolsby (1891-1968), married to Vesta (Montgomery) Goolsby (1895-1976) in Cookeville, Putnam County. Can anyone help me??? I "think" maybe I have traced John Logan Goolsby through Joshua Logan Goolsby (1854-?) who was married to Isabell Fisher, but I am not sure. My Grandpa, John Logan Goolsby's, parents died when he was young and he was raised by relatives so I have been told. I saw an article mentioning Lum M. Goolsby in the Herald newspaper and I wondered if he was a relative. Does anyone know, was "Lum" his given name? I can't find any other mention of him online. Thanks
Goolsby
November 10, 2013 01:45AM
I am sure that the John Logan Goolsby that was married to Vesta Montgomery and Lum Goolsby are probably related.

John Logan is from the Dekalb County Goolsby's, Martin Goolsby & Sarah Barr married in White Coutny TN 1843.

Lum is from the Jackson County Goolsby's.

J.B. Goolsby that died sometime ago, said that the family also had a sister that disappeared.

I have been working on the family history of the Goolsby Family for over 30 years.

I am from the James Goolsby-died 1861 on Martin's Creek in Jackson County TN, 1st wife unknown, married Elizabeth , some wants her to be a Pippin.

Have a great day

Bettie Sue Goolsby, Archivist
Putnam County TN Cemetery Records
TN Gen Web Cemetery Database
November 11, 2013 03:48PM
I have quite a bit of information on the Montgomery line, as that is one of my husband, Glenn's. lines. Email me at my home email for more information. bradfordjcg@gmail.com

Carol Bradford
Putnam County Assistant Archivist