Peter Crum(b)
January 10, 2014 02:59PM
Peter Crum(b) was a Rev. War veteran who lived in Jackson County for roughly 30 years until his death around 1842. I have a copy of his application for a pension (denied first time) and his re-application and approval. I have the application by his wife Elizabeth (Polk) Crum as his widow. She was married previously and her married name was Polk. If Peter had any children, it was not by this woman.

I have a copy of the land warrant that includes a man by the name of Richard Alcorn.

I have his census information for 1820, 1830 and 1840.

I have a mention of him in his father's will (Johann Frantz Crum - Pennsylvania) and I know he had two brothers, John and Christian, who moved with him from PA after the Rev. War to Greene County Tennessee. I know he moved from Greene County TN to Christian County KY, and then to White County TN, and then to Jackson County, TN.

That is all I have. What I am trying to find out is:
Did he have any children (a possible Caty) who married a William Howel in Christian Kentucky in 1810. Peter was the Surety for the marriage but I do not know the relationship of Caty to Peter. Did he have any other children? Where was he buried?

Any light any of you can shine on this man, Peter Crum(b), is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Darryl Crum
Re: Peter Crum(b)
January 19, 2014 10:40AM
The following is some evidence of Peter Crum being in the Rev. War, and of having a brother named John Crum Sen., who lived in Greene County at the time Peter lived in Jackson County (where the pensioner lived). The following text is transcribed from John's deposition.

State of Tennessee
Greene County

Personally appeared this day before me, Jacob Stephens, an acting justice of the peace for the county aforesaid, John Crum Sen., who being first duly sworn in on the holy Evangelist of Almighty God, deposith and saith that Peter Crum is his brother. That said Peter enlisted some time during the revolutionary war, but the exact date he does not recollect. They then resided in Pennsylvania. Peter went into the army and this deponent did not see him again for some time and when he did see him, he was a wagonneer and had been for more than three years. This deponent cannot tell what offices or officers his brother served under, nor can he tell through what country he march or in what battle he fought, if any. But he does know that his brother joined the Continental army and he feels perfectly safe in saying that he served at least three years.

Sworn to and
subscribed before me
this 20th day of June 1834 – John Crum (X his mark)

Jacob Stephens
Justice of the Peace
Re: Peter Crum(b) and his pension application
January 20, 2014 12:11PM
I have included Peter's revision to his application for a Rev. War Veteran pension. It is a a nice narrative and gives some detail of his life, up to 1834 when he applied for the pension. I transcribed it, as best I could but will make revisions, as needed, to the parts I could not accurately read. When I am finished with the revision, I will remove this sentence and the previous one.

State of Tennessee
Jackson County

On the twenty eighth day of June in the year 1834, Peter Crum, a resident citizen of the County of Jackson aforesaid personally appeared before me, James Taylor, one of the acting justice of the peace in and for the County of Jackson aforesaid and member of the county court of said county the same being a court of record and made oath in due form of law that he is the identical same Peter Crum who has obtained a certificate for a pension of twenty dollars per annum from the United States.

He further makes oath that in his declaration for pension it appears that he stated a tour of service of seven months as a regular enlisted soldier against the frontier Indians. This service, he states, is misstated. He volunteered for a tour of seven months. Joined a company commanded by Captain William Myers or Meyers. His son, John Meyers, was lieutenant. They marched against the frontier Indians while on this tour. They marched to a creek called Black Creek. The Indians attacked them.

As he recollects, the Indians killed of their men thirty seven and took three prisoners. Lieutenant Myers and David Coontz were two of the prisoners taken. This was the only battle they had while on this tour of duty. The battle took place on Black Creek. The time they were attacked they were eating dinner. He recollects that a man by the name of McHenry was gathering grapes. He discovered Indians and gave the alarm. They had been out a considerable time before this occurred. There was about sixty men in the company. He states they were on the frontier and escaped on a creek called Mahoney. His services, as explained to him, were volunteer services. He took no bounty and they went out of the companies of choice. He states that he knew only a few word English when he served, and used the Dutch language for many years after, and is now very ignorant of the language.

As to the time of sitting out on this tour, he can speak with confidence after they had been out some time the fox grapes got ripe and he recollects the more ???????????ly from the facts of all Henry.

He feels most confident that he went out on a tour of seven months and served out the full time. He set out from Heidelberg County Pennsylvania. And the year before Cornwallis was taken. As to his tour of twelve months regular service as a continental waggoner . He expects to be able to prove it. He has heard of a living witness but he lives at a considerable distance.

He hopes this explanation may be satisfactory and be deemed sufficient to xxxxx him to xxxx, he stands in great need. He is old and infirm, and his wife has been a complete invalid many years.

Sworn to and subscribed before me
the day and year above written Peter (X) Crum (his mark)
James Taylor
Justice of the peace
Re: Peter Crum(b) and his pension application
January 24, 2014 01:15PM
The following is an affadavit by Enoch Carter, a friend and neighbor of Peter Crum when he lived in Greene County Tennessee and later in Jackson County Tennessee. I cannot read two words in the testimony - they are replaced with Xs and there is a blank at the beginning which leads me to believe a minister was supposed to join Enoch in the testimony.

The testimony is as follows:

State of Tennessee
Jackson County Court November AD 1833

We _(blank space)_ a clergyman resident citizen of the County of Jackson Tennessee and Enoch Carter, a citizen of the same county do hereby certify that we are well acquainted with Peter Crum who has signed and sworn to the foregoing declaration for pension that we believe him to be seventy five years of age. At least we can say he is a very old infirm man, that he is reputed and believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier of the revolution, and we concur in that opinion. We further state that he is XXXXX to XXXX on his oath.

Enoch Carter states for himself that he has known Peter Crum for about thirty six years, lived in the same County of Green, Tennessee with him, now his neighbor. Several persons who then resided in that county said they served with him in the revolution. Captain William Mayers said he enlisted him and that he marched under him against the Indians on the frontiers of Pennsylvania, that at that same time, his son John Mayers was taken prisoner. Heard Captain Mayers and several others speak of his service as a waggoner in the regular service of the United States. And from frequent conversations affiant Enoch has the most satisfactory evidence of the services of said Crum as a soldier of the revolution.

Sworn to ?
In open court Nov. 12, 1833 Enoch Carter
William Gailbreath Clerk
Land grant to Peter Crum and Richard Alcorn
February 05, 2014 07:39PM
Peter Crum and Richard Alcorn were granted 50 acres each on the waters of Indian Creek of Caney Fork. The grant is as follows:

State of Tennessee, No. 7717
To all to whom these presents shall come, greeting. Know ye that by virtue of Entry No. 1680, made in the office of the entry taken of Jackson County and entered on the 5th day of February 1837, pursuant to the provisions of an act of the General Assembly of said state, passed on the 9th day of January, 1830. There is granted by the said state of Tennessee unto Richard Alcorn and Peter Crum a certain tract or parcel of land containing one hundred acres by survey bearing date the 6th day of December 1838 lying in said county on the waters of Indian Creek of Caney Fork – Beginning on a poplar, a corner of said Alcorn’s 50 acres tract running east on said line to the beginning of said 50 acres, 90 poles to a poplar thence North with said Crum’s line 106 poles to his corner a large poplar, thence East with said Crum line 74 ½ poles to poplar his corner, thence North 36 poles to a white oak and sourwood pointer thence West 167 ½ poles to a stake, thence South 165 poles to the beginning.

With the hereditaments and appurtenances to have and to hold said tract or parcel of land with its appurtenances to the said Richard Alcorn and Peter Crum and their heirs forever, in witness where of James K Polk, Governor of the State of Tennessee has herewith set his hand and caused the great seal of the state to be affixed at Nashville on the 4th day of December 1839 and 64th year of independence.

By the Governor
James K Polk
Jno. S. Young,
Secretary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2014 09:32PM by thevirtualwriter.