Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marriage record

Posted by brandirose1 
Marriage record
November 20, 2011 11:37AM
In looking for a marriage record for Jack Perry and Jessie Elliott, I found a record that has me really puzzled. The record of their marriage is in a book, each page being a single record. The top part of the page is like a promissory note to the State of Tennessee for "TWELVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS" The second part is giving permission to a clergy or judge to perform the marriage, and the last part is the actual date of marriage and the signature of the person performing the ceremony.

This record has the names of Jack Perry and Earl T. Gaither as the ones agreeing to pay the note. The next page, different couple has the groom to be and, I assume the father of the bride or some other relative as the surname is the same as the bride to be..

Can anyone shed some light on this? It seems like $1250.00 was a lot of money to pay to get married in 1919.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Marriage record
February 14, 2012 10:51PM
This kind of sounds like a Property purchase and... separately a Marraige, have you looked at the land plats in that county to see if there is a matching name ?