Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

JOHN SCOTT ASKINS

Posted by Askins 
JOHN SCOTT ASKINS
August 11, 2012 11:35AM
My dad's grandfather John Scott Askins and his wife the former Margaret Hairston moved there in early 1872 where his brother William lived. A 6-month old child died that year and on the night of Dec. 12, 1872, their new store and house with all its contents burned.

John Scott Askins died of cholera on July 21, 1873, at Union City and was buried there, leaving his wife and 3 young sons. He contracted the disease at Hickman KY. She and their sons returned to Lincoln County TN.

He enlisted Mar. 23, 1863, in the Confederate Army Company C 41st Tennessee Infantry, which became a part of the 3rd Consolidated Regiment TN Infantry about Apr. 9, 1863. He was taken prisoner Aug. 1864 and received at a military prison in Louisville KY.

Does anyone have a record showing tax records, etc., for his store and where he was buried?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Re: JOHN SCOTT ASKINS
February 04, 2013 03:42PM
John Scott Askins is buried in ( City View , or the Old City )Cemetery in Union City Tn. At present his stone is down but will be reset this spring,
Re: JOHN SCOTT ASKINS
February 05, 2013 09:17AM
Thank you so very much for the info regarding John Scott Askins. I pray that my health will improve enough for me to make the trip from Lincoln County TN to pay my respect to my dad's grandfather.

Did the young child who died in 1872 have a monument?

What is the inscription on John Scott Askins's monument?

I can be contacted at ebrown@vallnet.com also.

Again, THANK YOU.