Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Isaac Paul Lafayette Morris

Posted by PamPuck 
Isaac Paul Lafayette Morris
August 14, 2012 07:30PM
I am trying to find information on Isaac Paul Lafayette Morris - my husband's great-great grandfather. We know from the 1860 census that he was here in Obion County.We also know that he bought land in Obion County somewhere near the Obion River and along Dillard Creek. Does anyone know where Dillard creek is located? We can't find any other records of him after 1860 except that his 3rd son, Isaac P. (I.P.) Morris was born in 1863. His wife, Mary Jane (Tooley), remarried in 1868. She married William Myers and later had several children with him.
We think that Isaac might have become a soldier in the Civil War and was killed but we don't have any proof.
Re: Isaac Paul Lafayette Morris
August 17, 2012 08:03PM
Dillard Creek runs north between Trimble and Mason Hall and empties into the Obion River. It is in district 11. I don't see any Morrises in D11 in 1860. According to some trees on Ancestry.com he died here 5 Mar 1857. All Ancestry trees show the family was in Giles Co in 1850. Isaac was 15 then.

Dennis in UC
August 17, 2012 08:42PM
It appears the death dates on Ancestry.com are wrong. Isaac married 5 Mar 1857 here and his widow remarried 25 Sep 1866. Check the CW rosters on the ObnCo gen page

Dennis in UC
August 19, 2012 04:17PM
Yes, those death dates are wrong. I have the marriage record of Isaac and Mary Jane and that date, March 5, 1857 is correct. According to an old, handwritten record of the Morris Family tree, Isaac died in the Civil War along with one of his brother's in law, Ross Brown. There is someone researching Isaac's whereabouts - the man is a Civil War historian and has been researching Obion County Civil War Veterans. thanks for replying!
August 20, 2012 06:43PM
Yup, that would probably be John Abernathy. Met him the other day at the library here. He has a lot of info on area CW soldiers.

Dennis in UC

Mason Hall web page - [wc.rootsweb.com]