Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DNA Mystery Doss/Parrett/ott

Posted by doris williford 
DNA Mystery Doss/Parrett/ott
June 28, 2010 09:10AM
In 1832, so the story goes, a "woman" and several children were traveling in a wagon train. It stopped in Overton Co., TN to spend the night. There it was discovered that one of the children had measles. He was my ggrandfather, James Forrester Parrett/ott. He was 2 yrs. old. She left him with a Miller family and never came back for him. At age 11/12 he was sold to George M. Thompson for 1.00! When he became of age he married Mahala Ann Bowman. In the 1860 census they were living in White Plains and Dry Valley areas of Putnam County and were counted twice in the census. He fought and was wounded in the civil war. His civil war letters to his wife are posted, if such things interest you.

For many, many years I have been searching for his family and thought with the availability of DNA I would finally find some answers. Wrong! His DNA does not match any of the other Parrett/Parrott families but does match EXACTLY with Rev. John Wesley Doss. But still more mystery. The Rev. Doss does not match any of the other Doss families either! John was in Decatur Co., TN. They match each other but not their respective families.

I have been unable to tie these families together. If you have knowledge about any of this or know where I might go for more information it would be so appreciated. Thank you.