Rector Families in Putnam County
May 22, 2010 10:16PM
I am seeking more information about a Rector family who may have lived in Putnam County in the 1860's. The head of the family was John Rector and the wife was Sarah who may have been a Walker. Their daughter, Rhoda (also known as "Rowena" and "Raine" ) was born in either 1862 or 1864. (Her birth date is reported differently in different census records). Family legend has her married to Erasmus Harvey (Ras) Eldridge in Putnam County 30 Nov 1890, but I have no actual record of the marriage. It is reported in the 1900 census as 1891, but I have not found marriage records of that date either. Rhoda and Ras show up in the 1900 census in Overton County where Ras's family resides. In 1901 they are in Kearney, Clay County, Missouri where their 4th child, my grandfather, was born. I can track them fairly well from that point, but I know little of Rhoda's early life. I cannot find the family on the 1860 (which is before her birth) or 1870 census. I find the family on the 1850 census in Bledsoe and then they seem to disappear until 1880 where they show up in Putnam, District 6.

Is anyone else acquainted with this family? Rhoda is supposed to have been born in Putnam County, but I can find no record of her birth.

I have been told that Rhoda's mother, Sarah, is buried in the Brotherton Cemetery. Is this in Putnam County?

Thank you in advance for any help....smiling smiley
Re: Rector Families in Putnam County
May 25, 2010 12:17AM
There was an article in the Upper Cumberland Genealogical Association bulletin Vol XVI No.1 in the Spring of 1991.
Compiled by Charles D. Eldridge of Warrensburg MO.
of the John Rector and Sarah Walker family.
I wrote him him but never received a reply..

Yes Brotherton Cemetery is in Putnam County TN.
There are several Rector's buried there.
I belong to the Owen Bennett Rector and Sarah Hale line, their son Thomas Rector was my grgrandfather, he is buried at the A.W. Byers cemetery in Putnam County.
Have a great day
Bettie in TN
May 25, 2010 02:15PM
Bettie, thank you for your response.

Do you have any idea how I might obtain a copy of that article? Charles D. Eldridge passed away July 21, 2001 from injuries sustained from a tragic accident which occurred when he was trying to help some friends with a home repair.

I am totally confused on this line.... I have a Sarah Hale also, but have her married to a Walker, and the mother to Sarah Walker who is married to John Rector, which would make her my Rhoda's grandmother - if my information is correct.

Obviously, I need help. I hope we can exchange information - I'm able to prove the descendant lines - even though Erasmus Harvey Eldridge was difficult to follow. He shows up as "Ross" and "Rees" and "Ras" in different census records, but I was able to place enough family members to pin him down. He was a teamster so he traveled quite a bit - even showing up in Colorado, near where I live now, on a job during one census period.
May 31, 2010 05:04AM
Yes I will send you a copy of the article, e-mail me privately and I will give you my address, to send me a SASE, I am always glad to help, I am in Cookeville TN, in the middle of it all.
Have a great day

<bsgoolsby@frontiernet.net>
Bettie in TN