Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mitchell - Forrest

Posted by centaur32 
Mitchell - Forrest
August 14, 2012 02:44PM
I'm trying to locate the parents of my great-grandfather Charles A. Mitchell. He was - according to Census and family information - born in DeKalb County, Alabama on October 4, 1858. His parents were from TN. On his death certificate, it only lists the last names of his parents: Mitchell (father) and Forrest (mother).

He married Martha Ann Tate (daughter of James Douglas Tate and Mary Jane McGregor) on December 28, 1880. They had one son: John Francis Mitchell.

At one point, Charles Mitchell helped run the Tate House (boarding house) with my great-great grandfather James Douglas Tate in McMinnville, Warren County.

On the 1870 Warren County Census Record, there is a Charles Mitchell (Age 12) living with William C. Mitchell (father), Martha (mother) and siblings: Nancy, Samuel, Elizabeth, Mary, William, Martha and Josephine. On the 1880 Census I have William C. Mitchell, Marthie, Jane, C. A., M. M. and A. J. I believe these to be the same families. The Census # is 22 for the Mitchell family and 31 for my great-great grandfather (J. D. Tate) & his family, making me think this is my grandfather's family.

Does any one out there know if this is the correct family? If so, and you're descended from this family, do you know why there might have been a rift in the family? My dad always talked highly of his Grandpa Charley, but I could swear he said his grandfather was an only child.

I also know that many of the Tates moved to DeKalb County, Alabama as well, so it appears as if there is more than one connection between the Tates and the Mitchells.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott Mitchell