Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thomas Gaylor Cooper

Posted by tgc1954 
Thomas Gaylor Cooper
March 03, 2012 04:01AM
I am looking for anything about my my great grandfather i know. that he had a daughter Velma. Any info will be great

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 05:32AM by JulieCromwell.
Re: Thomas Gaylor Cooper
March 28, 2012 04:14PM
Hi, I have some info on a Thomas Gaylor Cooper b. 1867 d.1953. His parents were Lindsey Cooper b. 1833 d. 1916 and Mary Gaylor b. 1837 d. 1928. They are both buried at Cooper's View cemetery in Campbell Co. TN. Mary Gaylor's parents are Thomas Gaylor b.1803 Va d.1889 TN. and Anna Murray b.1808 d. 1847. Lindsey's parents were John Cooper and Hester Sage. Hester's father James fought in the Revolution. A book has been written by their daughter, Catey Sage, who was kidnapped, sold to Indians, was finally found in Leavenworrth, Kansas. They are also buried at Cooper's view. Lindsey Cooper served in Co. A, TN infantry USA. When he returned he became a Baptist minister and was very involved in establishing several churches in Campbell Co. Thomas Gaylor Cooper was a brother to my ggrandfather. Do you think this is the Thomas Gaylor Cooper you are looking for?
May 02, 2012 03:23PM
Hi, I'm descended from Charles Comer Sage, son of James & Lovice (Ott) Sage.
The daughter of James & Lovice, Caty, was kidnapped in Apr 1792 & a book
was written , but not by Caty. When found, she spoke not a word of English &
her brother, Samuel talked to her through an interpreter. Caty died in Kansas,
of pneumonia.
May 22, 2012 09:33AM
You are absolutely right about the book not being written by Caty Sage. I meant to say "about" and had a brain cramp. I believe there are two books about Caty. One was written by Bonnie Sage Ball who also wrote March of the Sages. I have not read either book yet---need to make some time : ) Have you read them--do you recommend one over the other?
January 03, 2013 10:21AM
I'm also a great. great grand daughter of Thomas Gaylor Cooper, through his daughter Sadie. There was a Vilva Cooper who married ? Smith. She lived in Louisville, Ky. That's where Thomas Gaylor Cooper died. I have a lot of information on the Cooper's, but only a few pictures. None are of Lindsay, Mary,Tom or Pollie Cooper. Also there was a Wilma Cooper who married Clarence Basler and was buried in the Basler Family Cemetery, Olive Springs,Tn.
January 03, 2013 10:41AM
Hi, just read your post. I'm a descendant of Lindsay and Mary Cooper through Tom and Pollie Cooper's daughter, Sadie. I have a copy of Mary Cooper's death certificate. She died in 1918 not 1928. Elijah Green Cooper was named on the certificate . She was buried in Jefferson City, Westview Cemetery. Also read the book on Caty Sage,by Bill Bland, Youroquains, A Wyandot Princess. We stopped in Elk Creek, Va. On our way to Blacksburg, Va. and saw the historical plaque in memory of Caty Sage, also the site where she was kidnapped, and James Sage's headstone and Lovis'. Bill Bland was descended from Elizabeth Delphi. Youngest child of James and Lovis. The Cooper family was certainly an interesting family. Still looking for pictures of Lindsay and Mary Cooper as well as Tom and Pollie Cooper.
January 07, 2013 11:29AM
Hi Ginny,
If you would email your address to me I will send a copy of the photo I think is Lindsay and Mary. I included my email address in an earlier post. I would also like a copy of Mary's death certificate. Your trip sounds great---I would so like to visit that area. Have you been to Cooper's View cemetery? There is a stone dedicated to John and Hester there. Another document you might like is a copy of the speech given at the dedication. Our cousin Connie shared it with me and I don't think she would mind if I pass it on. It gives some history of the Cooper family and no, despite what you might find on Ancestry, we are not related to Winston Churchill and Princess Diana : ) If you are not a member of DAR you could join under James Sage.