Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Elmer Phelps train robber my great grandfather

Posted by Rjhines 
Elmer Phelps train robber my great grandfather
February 02, 2014 06:13PM
I am looking for any info on my great grandfather, Elmer Phelps. His death has been a family secret for many years. I have been looking for info for three years. I was given a tape of my grandmother talking about him. My grandfather and his siblings remember as children their daddy being carried in and laid on a table. he was bleeding and the next morning the children were told he died of pneumonia and were to never speak of him or his death again. He supposedly robbed a train at Sunbright Depot in 1926 and was shot. He worked at the New River Lumber Co. in Norma and was known for his drinking and gambling. I have no luck on death certificate and was told he was buried in the middle of the night next to his baby boy in Norma, in an unmarked grave. The family then moved back to Ky and Elmer was kept a secret. In the last years of my grandfathers life he did speak of his daddy to some people. I do not want Elmer to disappear from our family forever. Thanks for any info given.

I am wondering if perhaps Elmers last name was misspelled years ago as was his sons who passed away. His sons name on the death certificate was spelled as Phillips not Phelps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 03:35PM by Rjhines.
Re: Looking for my great grandfather
February 27, 2014 11:23AM
Would you know Elmer parents names?
Re: Looking for my great grandfather
March 01, 2014 09:54PM
Yes I do know his parents, His father was James H. Phelps born 11 March 1855 Pulaski Co. Ky died 17 May 1890 Phelps, Missouri
His mother was Ellen Hansford born Dec 1860 Pulaski Co, Ky died Nov 1941 Russell Co. Ky. I have pictures of Elmer and Polly and also of Ellen and James I wish I could post somehow. Thanks so much for your question and interest.