Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tibbs Families Of Tennessee

Posted by SearchN 
Tibbs Families Of Tennessee
January 17, 2015 12:44PM
Hello
I have been doing research into the Tibbs families of Tennessee for some time now and continue to hit bumps in the road that are very frustrating. I have many Tibbs and know a lot are related, but can't figure out how. I have been able to follow most of the lines marriages etc., It's the Tibbs Themselves I can't connect. The counties I have been able to find them in are White, Smith, DeKalb, Putnam since these county borders changed so much during that time doesn’t necessarily mean some of them moved, but the boundaries changed placing them in another county from the previous census.

The census records 1820 and up indicate they migrated from Virginia. The 1820 Smith County Census, has Anderson, John, Thomas and William, relationships unknown. My direct line is through my 3rd Great Grand father Drury Tibbs b. abt 1810 in Tn., not Virginia according to later census and died sometime after 1880 in Warren Co. Ky. They relocated to Bowling Green, Ky sometime around 1860. Who his father was in unknown. Drury is possibly a hash-mark in one of the above families.

Recently it was found that Colonel William Henry Tibbs from Appomattox, Va. b. 1816 died in Dalton, Ga. 1906, lived in Smith Co. when his father William moved there in 1818. then to Bledsoe Co. in 1823, then to Mississippi only to return to Bradley Co. Tn. William Henry Tibbs later in life became a delegate for, East Tennessee, First Confederate Congress. According to what I have been able to find, his father William was a veteran in the War of 1812. William H.'s grandfather was John Tibbs and that's about all we know.

My main focus is not on William Henry Tibbs, but since he's a possible new lead, someone out there may have additional information on the other Tibbs and how they might all be connected.

I do have a website with much more information, keep in mind there is a lot of speculation and due to William Henry Tibbs records being found some more “Speculating” needs to be done. If anyone thinks they can help, please have a look.
Tibbs Geneology
Thank you, David Tibbs