Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Henry Stoll

Posted by afodor 
Henry Stoll
April 20, 2010 01:29PM
Henry Stoll 1838-1920 is buried in the Monroe Street Cemetery in Cleveland, Ohio. His wife's name was Elizabeth (nee Becker) 1837 - 1912. On Henry's headstone is inscribed "15 Tenn. Vol. Regt" and our research would indicate that this was a Confederate regiment. We are trying to document Henry's life and would appreciate any information that you may have regarding Henry Stoll, such as when and where did he enlist in the 15th regiment, what were his wartime activities, when was he mustered out. We also believe that he may have been captured and possibly incarcerated at Johnson Island in Ohio. In 1870 there was a Stoll family living in Gibson County, TN. The father was 60 years old; was Henry related to him?

He emigrated from Germany with his parents in 1840. By 1860 he was living in Cleveland, not married, and apprenticed to a wagonmaker and blacksmith. He spent some time as a "carriage trimmer" and later as a farmer, possibly a truck farmer. After the Civil War he returned to Cleveland where he lived out his life in the greater Cleveland area.

Alan Fodor
Monroe Street Cemetery Foundation
(A 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization)
Re: Henry Stoll
September 20, 2010 12:55AM
I looked him up in the National Soldiers and Sailors System: an H. C. Stoll, Private, Co. I, 15th TN Infantry, Confederate. The regimental history on the site says that it was formed in 1861 of men from Madison, Lake, Shelby, and Weakley Counties in TN. They fought at Belmont, Perryville, and Shiloh in TN, then consolidated with another regiment- the 37th in 1863. Only a handful surrendered on 4-26-1865.

Here is a link to the website: [www.itd.nps.gov]
Another link on the regiment: [www.tngenweb.org]

He was not on the list for Lake Co. enlistment.

He might be listed on the 1890 Special Census of veterans and widows. All the counties above are in West TN, as is Gibson Co., TN. Madison Co. is the closest to Gibson. He would have applied from the state he was living in, most likely Ohio? He was not on the list from TN.

Henry was in the 1870 census in West Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., OH, born abt. 1839, Prussia, carriage trimmer, wife Elizabeth, 33 Prussia, son William 2, OH, and son Henry, 6/12 OH. Also, a Justus Stoll, 63, born Prussia was in the household. This might have been his father. He was a cabinet maker. Two doors down is Augustus Stoll, 25, born Hessen, carriage painter, probably a brother, with wife Carrie, 21, born Nuremberg, and son.

He was in the 1880 census in West Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., OH. It states he was born in 1841 in TN, wife Elizabeth, 3 sons. His occupation was a carriage trimmer, wife born in Prussia, his parents born in Germany.

On familysearch.org, I found some of this information using the Search/Record Search Pilot. I found a Justus H. Stoll as the father of a bride: Catherine Stoll b. 1843, who married a Ludwig Luick, 2-19-1861 in Cuyahoga Co., OH. It sounds like this is the father to Henry. This places some of the Stolls in Ohio as early as 1861.

In the 1860 census I did find a Henry Stoll 18, born Hesse, as an apprentice to a wagoner & blacksmith, in the 6th ward of Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., OH. The age seems to be right. Why he went to TN to enlist with the Confederacy is a mystery. I don't see his family there. They might have been in TN.

Henry C. Stoll married Elizabeth Baker 9-25-1866 in Cuyahoga Co., OH.

This is all I could find so far. Gibson Co., TN had a few Stolls but I didn't find any that fit around 1860. I know you already have some of the information. I will try to see if I can find which county in TN he enlisted in. The Shelby Co. Library has records, but I think you have to know which county, and there is a charge for copies.