Looking for info on Homer Tennessee
January 08, 2011 04:52PM
Looking for information on Homer, Tennessee. My ancestor died there in 1893, but I cannot find it on a current map. I'm interested in finding at least what county Homer is or was in. I'm looking for an obituary or death record for my ancestors, Jackson Atwood and his wife, Sarah Tolle Atwood, who died in about 1893 in Homer, TN. Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
Re: Looking for info on Homer Tennessee
February 22, 2011 04:26PM
There is an Ann Homer Ridge in Perry County. Not sure if thats the right place though
February 23, 2011 11:45AM
Thanks so much. I'm totally at a brick wall, so I'll see where this leads me. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my query.
June 14, 2011 11:36AM
A community now named Beech Bluff (near Jackson, Madison County, Tennessee, USA) was once called Homer.

Visit this link for more info:

[www.tngenweb.org] BLUFF
Re: Looking for info on Homer Tennessee -ATWOOD
June 14, 2011 01:38PM
Thanks very much. I really appreciate it.
December 03, 2013 10:51AM
Hi, I know I'm a little late on the reply, but I currently live in Beech Bluff, TN which used to be named Homer. Today there is no railroad system anymore like there used to be. The old railway runs behind my house but the tracks are gone. Occasionally while riding four wheelers we may come across one of these old tracks. There is an old cemetery on Red Heart Road. Not quite sure if you know where your ancestor(s) were buried. There is also an old church foundation and one wall still standing in front of that cemetery. It is believed to be haunted and on the standing church wall there are the words "welcome to hell." The post office from I believe 1870s is currently still there and in use. I went to the elementary school which was the high school. I think it was buildt back in the 1940s, not quite sure. Hope the info helps. Have anymore questions just ask.

-chase.
December 03, 2013 08:14PM
Thanks so much for your reply. It sounds like a nice little community. Except for the "welcome to hell" part. :0). I don't have any idea where my ancestors are buried. I've been trying to figure that out for a long time. I wonder if they're in the cemetery you mentioned. Do you have any idea where the cemetery records are kept? Or whether any of the headstones are legible. And another question, do you know where death records are kept in your county. Is Beech Bluff in Madison County? Again, I really appreciate you answering my query. I haven't given up hope yet!
December 03, 2013 10:41PM
[www.tngenweb.org]. This website has a few cemetery death records and the cemetery I mentioned, called pleasant hill cemetery, is on that site. Beech Bluff is in Madison county. Not quite sure where to find all the death records. Also there is a town/community north of Jackson in Carroll county called Atwood. I noticed your ancestors last name was Atwood. Not sure if there is a relation between your ancestors and the town name.
December 04, 2013 07:59PM
Yes, their names were Jackson Atwood and his wife, Judith. They also had a son Fletcher and his family who lived there for a while. Thanks for that information. I'll see what I can find out about Atwood, TN!