Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

John "Alexander" Neal

Posted by lgneal 
John "Alexander" Neal
December 28, 2013 12:38AM
Looking for info on the parents of John "Alexander" Neal, Blount County. Alexander married Artie Loukinza Howard (I believe the daughter of John and Catherine Howard)in 1853 and appears on the 1860 census Brick Mill with their 4 children, Samuel L, Sarah E,John H, William J. In September 1862, Alexander enlisted in the Union Army, and a fifth child, Joseph Alexander was born. Alexander succumbed to illness in Murfreesboro in March of 1863. Artie married John Moore a couple of years later.

I have both Alexander's pension file and military record (not much to go on). The 1860 census has Alexander born in North Carolina but the military record has him born in Blount County. I have seen Alexander also referred to as "john alexander".

In 1860 there were two other Neal families in the vicinity, Thomas with Anna & Alvira and Green B. with Sarah. Previous census shows Thomas with a son, John Alexander but the birth year was incorrect.

My husband's great grandfather was "Alex" (joseph Alexander), grandfather James Calvin "Jim" and father, Lindle Alex Neal.

Have seen attribution of Thomas and Anna Neal as parents along with Greenberry or Dewberry, Thomas, Hiram as brothers and a very young Alvira as sister. Birth years between census do not match up for John Alexander so I am not quite sure it is a slam dunk. I found a posting on Family Search that listed these brothers with parents of Thomas H. Neal and Elizabeth Anna Shelton but cannot figure out how to contact the submitter to find out what data they may have.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom or info!
Laurie Neal
Wenatchee, WA