Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Robert Musgrave 1760 - 1800

Posted by annbrown 
Robert Musgrave 1760 - 1800
November 05, 2011 02:22PM
Hello Carter County Genwebbers,

I need your help to track down supporting documentation for Robert Musgrave. Robert Married Elizabeth "Betsy" Johnston (circa 1778 - circa 1850). Betsy's mother was Mary "Molly" Kyle and her father might have been Hugh Johnston.

Robert and Betsy lived near Stony Creek, Carter Co.. In 1799 or 1800, Robert was stabbed to death by John Robinson, a friend of Landon Carter's. Robert and Landon had a dispute over a property line. Robert and Betsy's only son, Moses Musgrave, who at the time was maybe 1 year old, was my ancestor.

Trolling through the web, I have found mentions, but no documentation, of Betsy selling land to Landon Carter right after Robert's death. I also found mention of a researcher named Ed Speer, the Carter County Historical Society, and the East Tennessee Historical Society Publications, 1956, by Foster park. There was also mention of a legal paper giving Betsy the right to raise her children. (Women sure did get the short end of the stick, then, didn't they?)

I also find mention of Landon Carter, Samuel Musgrave, and John "Robertson" (sp?) on land deeds, etc.

Anyway, is there someone out there who loves a mystery? I can use any and all documentation you can find. Scanned and emailed is fine. In return, I do research in IL and LA, and can translate French documents fairly well.

Thanks for reading this. Happy hunting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 11:55AM by annbrown.