Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

John Erb and Sarah Hyde of Nahsville

Posted by gpetrin 
John Erb and Sarah Hyde of Nahsville
July 10, 2010 08:33AM
John Erb was born in Germany (either Frankfurt or Bavaria) circa 1821. His wife Sarah Hyde was born in England circa 1815. They were married in Roane County on April 26, 1847 and had 2 children Emma Arabella born August 1847 (or 1848) and Joseph R. Erb born 1849-1850.

they are on the Nashville census n 1850.

Emma Arabella Erb married Jonathan Harries Scott on Dec 31 1867 in Nashville. Jonathan was born in Toronto Ontario.

Joseph Erb (1849-1915) seem to have married 2 sisters in succession Ruth and Kate Warren (or Warner) and to have 2 daughters.

In 1884, Emma and Jonathan Scott moved to Ontario, with their Tennessee born children when Jonathan inherited a large farm in York County Ontario. The small village next to his farm was named (still is) Nashville Ontario in honour of the place of birth of his wife.

Jonathan Scott died in 1918 and Emma Erb Scott died in 1932 and they are both buried in Nashville cemetery in Ontario.

What I am looking for is the place of burial of Emma's parents and brother in Nashville.

John Erb died December 23 1891 in Nashville. His wife Sarah died between 1870 and 1880 census.
Joseph R. Erb died in Memphis but was buried in Nashville in 1915. His first wife Ruth Erb died in 1879.

In addition a baby of Jonathan and Emma Scott, also named Emma died in 1882 in Nashville.

I would like to locate their burials and any gravestones that still exist. the Scott were Episcopalians in Ontario, but I am not sure which church they would have attended in Nashville.

Some kind volunteer has found the following information about John Erb in the 1855 directory of Nashville:

The 1855 Nashville City Directory (p. 41) has a large advertisement for "John Erb, Manufacturer of the Celebrated Independent Straw Cutter and Corn Chopper. Also Manufacturer of all kinds of Mechanical Machinery. Orders Promptly Attended to. Shop and Residence, 8 South Spruce Street."

John Erb is listed as a machinist on later census.

On later directories there is a firm of Erb and Scott grocers on Cedar street at corner of Cumberland.

Thank you for any help you may provide regarding the burial information

Guylaine
Toronto, Ontario