Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Buford Lines

Posted by PJTHOMAS 
Buford Lines
September 01, 2011 12:22PM
There were at least three Buford brothers who moved from Chester County, South Carolina to Fayette County, Tennessee.

The first brother, JOHN RAGSDALE BUFORD and his wife ESTHER EAVES, left for Fayette Co ca Nov 1825. John's will was proven May 1839. Esther was daughter of Mark Eaves of Chester County, SC and returned to Chester County after the death of her husband.

The second brother was MILES BUFORD and his first wife, CATHERINE YOUNG, who was granted land in Fayette County, SC Nov 1827. Catherine died in Fayette County Oct 1826 leaving Miles with 8 children under the age of 16, 5 of them under the age of 10. He managed to raise them alone until Sept 1828 when he married JEMIMA SUSANNAH BUFORD, his 17 year old neice, daughter of John Ragsdale Buford. Miles and Jemima left Fayette County in 1831 for Madison, Missouri. The family ended up in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana where the family lost their plantation (and almost everything else) in the Civil War.

The third brother was ROBERT BUFORD. I have little information on him at this time other than the fact he came about the same time as his brothers.

These three men were sons of LEROY and FRANCES (RAGSDALE) BUFORD of Lunenburg County, Virginia and Chester County, SC. Frances was daughter of JOHN RAGSDALE, SR. John and LeRoy descendents eligible for DAR, SAR membership.

I'm interested in corresponding with anyone regarding any descendents from either of these three men. I can prove lineages, just looking for ancillary information, especially in Fayette County itself. Land records, wills {I have a copy of John Ragsdale Buford's will}, etc.

Thanks, Peggy Thomas