Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Millicans

Posted by CTMillican 
Millicans
November 23, 2011 11:46PM
My Millican ancestors who ended up in Collin County, Texas, list their birth place as Tennessee. Looking for parents of William Marion Millican, born 10/22/1810 and his sister, Celia Frances Millican Stout, born in 1813. Other possible siblings include Moses, Horace, also born in 1813, Charles, born 1822, and Phillip, born in 1802 in Pennsylvania. All of these people went to Crawford County, Arkansas, by 1850 and to Collin County, Texas, by 1860. William Marion and his wife Rebecca Claunch Millican left Tennessee in 1839-1840 and stayed in Missouri for a time. By that time they had 2 sons, Francis Marion Millican and Samuel Swearingen Millican. The Francis Marion name repeats for several generations. There is also a son named Granville Gainan. I guess that William's parents had some connection to South Carolina because of the Francis Marion name. The Samuel Swearingen conection may have come from Kentucky, where I believe the family of Rebecca Claunch can be found. There are many, many Claunches in Pulaski County, KY. There were Swearingens in Kentucky who were wagon masters and they could have taken William and Rebecca across Tennessee in covered wagons. I found a William Milliken in Pennsylvania in the same area as William Swearingen, although I think it's a coincidence. William Marion had a son, John W. in 1864, who named his son Francis Marion probably after an uncle. It was 90 years after the Revolutionary War by then, so I doubt he named his son out of admiration for the Swamp Fox himself. Moses married Cynthia Ann Scarborough in Anderson County, Tennessee, and their son William E. was born in 1824 in Tennessee. They had another son, Johnathan R., who was an attorney and their son William E. bought a large amount of land in Collin County. There is anecdotal evidence that Moses and William Marion were not born in Anderson County, but rather in Greene County. There is also an oral history that my Millican ancestors were "Black Dutch," which means they intermarried with the Cherokee. There is an oral history that there were many Claunch men who married Cherokee women, so I surmise that Rebecca Claunch could have been mixed blood. It is interesting that they left Tennessee when the Cherokee left, leaving behind large families and with 2 babies in tow. Any info is appreciated to fill in the blanks.
Re: Millicans
April 13, 2012 01:29PM
Dear (I forgot to look at the name, I was so excited.
I am working on Celia Frances Millican Stout. Would like to connect to you via Email and share what I have. Pretty sure I have the parents of William Marion, but was not sure Celia was sister. Anyway will read your email and digest what you have, whatr you said and what you need. Hope to hear from you
June 18, 2012 11:45PM
OMG!!! I've been looking for the Millican/Claunch families for 10 years. I hope that one of you have some info!!!
June 18, 2012 11:50PM
PLEASE contact me if you have this info. . .!!!! We are direct descendants of William Marion and Rebecca as well. Thanks. .
March 07, 2013 03:37PM
Hi! I hope this message reaches you, since it's been so long. Sorry I haven't been back to the site in a while. There are a bunch of us linked up by email. Please send me your email. We are also getting our DNA done.

My email is ctmillicanglenn @ yahoo.com. Please email me and I'll add you to the group.

Best,
Cindy Millican
San Diego
September 28, 2013 09:11AM
My husbands line is Moses Scott Millican born in Spartanburg Co., S C in 1800. He and family came to Roane Co., Tn C: 1810.
His father William Millican died in S C about 1807 and his mother married again to Pleasant Brandon. He had siblings William Washington; Jane H., Nancy Greene. His uncle, Robert Millican, was their guardian until he left for Texas. C: 1817.
There was a Julius Millican in Anderson Co born C: 1760 who was in a record with our Moses Scott Millican. Julius was in Blount Co. Tn.at some point.
Our Moses is known to have gone to Texas to collect an estate for he and his sister, Nancy. I have not been able to track that.
His brother, William, was here till C: 1833 and then left for ?? Jane may have married a Dakin and gone to Texas. Nancy married Barnett Hill and Moses married Narcissa Underwood born Spartanburg Co., SC They had a child Frances, too.
I feel sure we are working on the same family. I have traced about 10 people who must be siblings of William #1. I think their parents were James and Jane who was son of William and [Ann?] Millican who went from Pa. to Botetourt Co., Va. to Mecklenburg Co., N C . I haven't been able to prove the last part.
Kay
October 08, 2013 05:37AM
Betty,
I am CTMilligan's cousin. We are all still working on the line. Hope you are still searching. We are trying to prove the exact connection to Julius Washington Milligan. We have definite DNA proof just don't know if he was uncle, father, cousin, etc. note the gan spelling which proves what my great grandfather and his sons always told my mother. Glenda
February 15, 2014 03:13PM
My line is also that of Moses Scott Millican...John C. Haley Millican...George Washington Millican...

In my limited time and resources in going before Moses and his father, William, I run into "roadblocks". I take it as a fact that Robert Hemphill Millican was William's brother, that he was one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" and was the guardian of the children until he moved with his family to Texas. I have had more success with Moses' wife, Narcissa Underwood, and her family than the Millicans of Spartanburg County, SC.

This is all new to me and I have so many questions, but I will move in moderation and not wear my welcome out.

Evans Millican