Gaugh/Gough
January 23, 2011 08:39PM
I am interested in information about Jesse Thomas Gaugh, b. ca. 1824. He had a brother, Eleazer, b. 1830, who died in in 1862 during service with the 13th TN Infrantry. Jesse Thomas ("J.T."winking smiley also served in the 13th, but was captured and became a POW. I have records of him living in Hardeman County until 1870, but can't find any record of his or his wife's death. His son Jesse S. Gaugh was my great-great-grandfather, but he had other children, including Elisha and Levi, of whom I have no information. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Gaugh/Gough
November 29, 2012 08:55PM
I'm afraid I can't help you much, but I am also searching for similar information. It seems we are related! Jesse T's son, Jesse S. was my third great grandfather! (His son, James F, was my second great grandfather). My father has more information about our family history, and has records from his search several years ago that I plan to go through at some point. Maybe I will find some answers there! Always nice to meet a relative though! smiling smiley
November 30, 2012 02:05PM
Yes, we are related. Jesse S was second great-grandfather, so I guess your father and I are third cousins. His daughter, Rosa Gaugh Davis, was my great-grandmother. Jesse S raised my grandmother Katie Lee Davis and her sister Annie May Davis after their father, Willie Davis, died. Rosa remarried and her new husband did not want to raise his stepdaughters. This was very painful for my grandmother and she never got over it. You may find it interesting that Jesse S' last census in 1930, shortly before he died, shows him living in a boarding house. I guess that's what passed for a nursing home in those days.
December 01, 2012 04:39PM
Jessie S. Gaugh is my 2nd great-grandfather. His daughter, Rosa Lee Gaugh (Davis), was my great-grandmother. Her husband, Willie Davis, died shortly after Rosa Lee gave birth to my grandmother Katie Lee Davis. Rosa Lee remarried and left her two daughters Katie Lee and Annie May, in the care of Jessie S. and his wife Mary McElwee Gaugh. My grandmother was very bitter toward her mother for abandoning her and never forgave her. I had some problems tracing that part of the family. The McElwee name shows up in several spelling variants, and I am not entirely sure of her father.

After Mary McElwee Gaugh died in 1916, my grandmother went back to live with her mother and stepfather but married soon thereafter. Jessie Gaugh's last appearance in the census is in 1930 when he was living in a boarding house.