Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diggs

Posted by jiversen 
Diggs
September 07, 2010 07:57PM
DIGGS, WALKER
I am looking for information on John DIGGS b. ca. 1819 and died in the Civil War at Andersonville Prison, GA 25 Jun 1864. He was married to Rachel WALKER on 19 Aug 1837 in Knox Co. TN. The census' state he was born in TN but I find no DIGGS in Anderson, Campbell or Knox Co. in 1820. I find many in Henry Co. and hope to find his family there. If he fits into one of your families I have lots of information on him I would like to share - Joy
Re: Diggs
September 14, 2010 11:48PM
I found a John G. Diggs b. 1819 with wife Rachel b. 1818 in the 1850 census for Anderson Co., TN
Children: Sarah J. 11, William A. W. 10, John G. 8, George L. 6, Alfred H. 5, James R. 4, Henry C. 3, not named male 1, all born TN.

There was a John Diggs in the Henry Co., TN 1850 census, but he was born abt. 1824, the son of a Benjamin from NC, and he was single.
Check out the familysearch.org Advanced Search Record Pilot for the Diggs surname for Anderson Co., TN. There are a few entries for John Diggs and Rachel Walker's children.

In 1860, I found John G. Diggs b. 1821, in Decatur, Wise Co., TX, with Rachel b. 1818, with 11 children: William, John, George, Sarah J., Alfred, Robinson, Henry, Samuel, Mercy, Ben, and Bean? Next door is a Henry Diggs age 25, wife Elizabeth 26. (All born TN.)

Rachel was in the 1870 census in Anderson Co., with 4 children. She was alive in 1880 in Clinton, Anderson Co., TN, with son Alfred. At least 2 of her sons were alive in 1900- Alfred and Henry C. 1910 shows Henry.

There are two entries on RootsWeb showing Rachel Walker to be the 2nd wife of John W. Diggs in Henry Co. who died abt. 1880, but they are in two different counties, far apart, for each census.

There was a Henry Diggs b. 1825, in Anderson Co. who might have been a brother to John, who named a son Henry. Also a William Diggs b. abt. 1824., and a Lewis, b. abt. 1822.

Hope this is of some help to you!
Re: Diggs
October 22, 2010 03:10PM
Thank-you for your reply. I have a feeling he is related to the William Diggs family but have never been able to find the link. I am hoping someone out there will have the link to either siblings or parents someday.
Joy