Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mabel Griffin Biggers and Maynard Biggers/Thompson

Posted by retiredinsc 
Mabel Griffin Biggers and Maynard Biggers/Thompson
April 08, 2011 07:10PM
Thought I'd resumbit my post with a little more information.

I am trying to do my family tree on both of my paternal grandparents but at this point do not know where to go next. If anyone can provide me with any info on these folks it would be wonderful!

I am looking for any information on my paternal grandmother, Mabel Griffin Biggers, paternal grandfather, Maynard S. Biggers or my dad's brother, Jimmie Biggers. I know he was living somewhere in TN in 1996, with his adoped son but I believe he has sinced died.

My grandmother is listed on the "Nashville City" Census as 28 years of age with her 2 sons, Jimmie Biggers, who was 9 year old, and (it says) W R Biggers (actually W L who happened to be called "Doug" all his life) who was 8 years old. My dad was born in Chapel Hill, TN. My grandfather changed his name from Biggers to Thompson.......

I know there are/were a lot of Biggers in TN but don't know which "family" is the right one at this point. Or Griffin for that matter.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 01:11PM by retiredinsc.
Re: Mabel Griffin Biggers and Maynard Biggers/Thompson
June 16, 2011 08:42PM
Dear RetiredinSC,
I believe I am married to your half uncle, named Maynard Samuel Biggers, Jr. His father was also known as Maynard S. Biggers/Thompson, Sr.
My husband is half brother with your dad's brother, Jimmie. Are you Doug's daughter? My husband said, Jimmie was married to Pearl and Doug was married to Edith.
When you were little,did you ever live in the US Naval Housing in an Diego?

Maxine in San Francisco
June 17, 2011 12:12PM
retiredinsc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thought I'd resumbit my post with a little more
> information.
>
> I am trying to do my family tree on both of my
> paternal grandparents but at this point do not
> know where to go next. If anyone can provide me
> with any info on these folks it would be
> wonderful!
>
> I am looking for any information on my paternal
> grandmother, Mabel Griffin Biggers, paternal
> grandfather, Maynard S. Biggers or my dad's
> brother, Jimmie Biggers. I know he was living
> somewhere in TN in 1996, with his adoped son but I
> believe he has sinced died.
>
> My grandmother is listed on the "Nashville City"
> Census as 28 years of age with her 2 sons, Jimmie
> Biggers, who was 9 year old, and (it says) W R
> Biggers (actually W L who happened to be called
> "Doug" all his life) who was 8 years old. My dad
> was born in Chapel Hill, TN. My grandfather
> changed his name from Biggers to Thompson.......
>
> I know there are/were a lot of Biggers in TN but
> don't know which "family" is the right one at this
> point. Or Griffin for that matter.
>
> Thanks.
June 17, 2011 12:23PM
Dear retiredinsc,

Did you get my last message regarding Maynard Biggers/Thompson? I am married to his son Maynard S. Biggers, Jr. He would love to hear from you.

Are you the son or daughter of Doug, Maynard's half brother? Maynard mentioned Jimmy was married to Pearl and Doug was married to Edith.

Waiting for your response.

Maxine
June 18, 2011 08:30AM
Hi! I was so surprised to hear from anyone!! I got both of your messages yesterday. I assume that your husband (what does he go by, Maynard? Sam?) is the son of Grandpa Biggers/Thompson's 2nd wife, Orpha? I found them and their daughter Ramona on the 1930 census record where they lived in California. It is so good to hear from you. How are you two doing? You live in the San Francisco area?

I am Doug and Edith's oldest daughter, Pat. We did live in the Navy housing in San Diego when my sister was born. I was born in Oakland, CA.

What started me on this journey is trying to do research on my ancestry for a family tree. I haven't gotten far on the Griffin/Biggers side though. Can you or my uncle tell me what Grandpa Biggers parents names were and where they lived or were born? ANYTHING be helpful. I have the Social Security record of his death but that is it so far. My dad and Jimmie were born in Chapel Hill, TN, not far from Nashville. Eventually I am going to make a trip up there to see the small town and to Nashville to see if I can get his birth certificate.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you both. God Bless.

Pat Biggers Sharpe
June 21, 2011 09:04PM
Hi Pat,
Is there anyway we can either get an address or phone number where we can directly contact you? Maynard would love to speak with you. He says he does have some information that may be of help.
Maxine
June 25, 2011 10:05PM
Pat,
FYI - We have a copy of Maynard S. Biggers/Thompson's marriage and birth certificate. Did you get my last post stating that my husband would like to speak with you?
Maxine
June 27, 2011 06:23PM
Hi again Maxine! Great to hear from you again! I've been checking every day to see if you responded to my last post (although I know that the TNGENWEB.ORG site is very careful (thank goodness) and screens e-mails before posting/notifying).

My phone number is 864-391-3745. My e-mail is jimpats@wctel.net. I live in Western South Carolina so of course we are 3 hours ahead of you. Address is: 139 Crescent Drive, McCormick, SC 29835

Wow! Great to hear Uncle Maynard has the birth certificate for his dad! Is the marriage certificate for his dad & mom or Uncle Jimmy & Doug's mom - or both? Guess I'll find that out when I talk to him. I imagine it will be a few days. My husband and I are in and out of the house so if we are not home just leave a message & phone number and I'll call back.

Thanks so much. Look forward to talking to you.

Pat
June 27, 2011 10:56PM
Hi Pat,
Yes, the posting is a bit slow but thankfully careful.
The marriage certificate is for Maynard's parents, Maynard, Sr. and Orpha. My husband is out of town at the moment but will give him your phone number and address when he gets home on Wednesday. He'll be so glad to get this info. He remembers you well as a little girl. What a small world to have come across your post.
Maxine
July 12, 2011 06:18PM
Hi again Maxine. I hope you two are ok? I haven't heard from you in a number of weeks so thought I'd better check. Would like to hear from you, I can always contact you if you give me your info.

Would LOVE to have copies of the birth and marraige certificates that Uncle has so I can hopefully find out information. I will, of course, am happy to share whatever I might find.

Sincerely,
Pat Biggers Sharpe
July 13, 2011 10:15PM
Hi Pat,
I gave Maynard all the information you gave me. I believe he is trying to contact his sister to have her contact you since she is also into the genealogy of the Biggers. Sorry for such a slow response. It's up to them now.
Maxine
July 15, 2011 08:43AM
That is great! I appreciate your being the "communicator". Hopefully she will contact me - that would be wonderful also. Tell uncle Maynard that I would still appreciate copies of the paperwork he does have and look forward to hearing from you all.

Sincerely,
Pat
July 29, 2011 10:05PM
Hello Pat,
Sorry for such a long and late response. I have given your Uncle your messages. Have not been able to contact Ramona. Here is her info that we have:

Ramona A Thompson
5250 E Olive Ave
Fresno, CA 93727
(559) 251-8445

Will remind your Uncle regarding the papers you requested.

Hope all is well with you.
Maxine
July 30, 2011 09:19AM
Good to hear from you Maxine. Thanks for Ramona's information. I will try to contact her. I know you will let me know if anything changes with Uncle Maynard or Ramona. God Bless & take care. Pat
August 23, 2011 07:11PM
Hi Pat,
Sorry again for the delay in communication. I will be mailing you your grandfather's marriage and death certificate. Hope all is well with you.
Maxine
August 23, 2011 07:55PM
YOU are a saint! Thanks for sticking with it.

Now that my husband is recovered from his extensive wrist surgery (out of all casts etc) and is starting physical therapy I hope to be able to go up to Nashville sometime before the end of the year - we'll see.

With the copies you are sending me I should be able to find information on my grandfather's family and hopefully with the little I have on my grandmother, Mabel, on her side of the family also. My uncle Jimmy has an adopted son who still lives in the Nashville area and I am going to try to contact him to see if he knows any information that his dad told him before he passed away.

I'm so excited! I am learning that tracing family history is very difficult indeed. It takes patience that is for sure.

I just recently tried to call Ramona and got no answer. I'll have to try again another day.

My sister lives in Oregon and I am going to go and see her & her family next month - her son is getting married while I am there. It has been 3 years since we've seen each other so it is time!

I would love to have you and Uncle's address, phone & e-mail if you want to share it. I believe I gave you mine. It is so easy to loose track of people that it helps to have all forms of contact in case. But it is up to the 2 of you. We'll keep talking via this web site if you want or we can do it directly. Your call.

Take care. Will let you know as soon as I receive the papers!!

God Bless.

Pat Biggers Sharpe
August 28, 2011 10:01AM
Hi Pat,
My email is mlc749@aol.com. My address is on the envelope of the package I sent you. If I find anything else that may help, I will also send them.
Peace and love to you and your family.
Maxine
August 31, 2011 11:19AM
Hi! I got the envelope yesterday - THANKS SO MUCH! Uncle Maynard said he'd look for other papers when he got time ( :

Take care,
Pat
September 02, 2011 08:25PM
Hi Pat,
We have a picture of your grandfather in Mexico. Will send a photo copy of it to you.
Peace and love,
Maxine
September 16, 2011 07:18PM
Hi Mabel. I didn't see your e-mail earlier. I left town on Sep 7th and went to my sister's in Oregon to spend a week with her and attend my nephew's wedding. It was great.

I did get the picture copies. Does Uncle Maynard know what year they were from or where they were taken by any chance? I really appreciate anything ya'll send me. God Bless and take care.

Pat