Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DNA Mystery - Parrett/ott - Doss

Posted by doris williford 
DNA Mystery - Parrett/ott - Doss
July 01, 2010 04:47PM
In my long, long search for the family of my ggrandfather, James Forrester Parrett/ott of Overton and Putnam counties in TN, I was so excited to learn that through the DNA test I might be able to find these kinfolk. Not to be! James did not match any of the other Parrett/ott families but did match EXACTLY with Rev. John Wesley Doss - who did not match any of the other Doss families either! They match each other but not their respective families.

James spent his life in Overton/Putnam but I find Rev. Doss in Decatur Co.,TN. where it indicates he was born in VA. I have not been able to tie these families together. It is not known where James was born, for sure. He was traveling by wagon train with a "woman" and several other children. It was 1832 and he was 2 yrs. old. As they came to Overton Co. for the night it was discovered that he had measles. She left him with a Miller family and never came back for him. At age 11/12 he was "sold" to Geo. M. Thompson. One census says he was born in Alabama. His civil war letters to his wife, Mahala Bowman are posted on the Overton Co., TN page.

If, by chance, you might know anything about either of these families, please get in touch with me. Thank you.

Doris Parrett/ott Williford - now in Texas
Re: DNA Mystery - Parrett/ott - Doss
October 16, 2010 03:49PM
Have you read John Roy Dillard's History of Monterey/Standing Stone TN from the late 1970's? I can't put my hands on my copy at the moment, but I recall that that the Parrot whom all Monterey-area Parrots descend, was a "handsome stranger passing thru" and they don't really know which Parrot it was.
Joey King
October 17, 2010 04:05PM
Joey - I do have a copy of Mr. Dillard's book and have read it backward and forward!! Not a single clue. DNA has "erased" 30 years of gathering and searching but truth is truth. It's rather shocking to live 87 years and all at once find out you don't know who you really are! If we're lucky maybe we'll get another dna match which will solve everything. Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my query.

Doris
February 09, 2011 10:51AM
I have a Parrott in my data base, Eliza, who was born in Halifax Co, VA in 1797. She married Jesse Lee. This may not connect to any thing you are now interested in, but I got this info from a book I borrowed. It was on the Parrots, Lees, Shorts, and Wilmores of Jackson Co. Do you have this book or are you aware of it. Perhaps it might have some info. The person I borrowed the book from is now dead, and I was interested in the Shorts.

Rose Ellen Rich
February 21, 2011 08:04AM
Rose - Thank you for your reply to my Parrott query. Since discovering that our DNA does not match other Parrett/ott families but matches Doss families, I doubt that I will be able to use the book for reference. It was very kind of you to take the time to write and I will "file" this info for future use.